Thursday, October 23, 2008

Farewell Samantha Parkington

Ok...I must preface this by saying, don't make fun of me...I can't take it right now.

Now...American Girl is retiring the Samantha Parkington doll. To some of you this may make you say, "Uh...who cares?" For others, you will understand my sadness. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for what the American Girl company tries to do. I think they are wonderful. When I was about 8, I was introduced to Samantha Parkington (the original American Girl doll). I hoped and hoped that I would get her for Christmas. I did get her as a gift from my grandma Velma. I think that is another reason that the retirement of this doll makes me extra sad.

This is going to be the last Christmas for Samantha and all of her "accessories" and that makes me sad. I always thought I would have a daughter and get her her own Samantha.

I don't know...maybe it is stupid, but it's one of those pieces of childhood that is sad to say goodbye to.

Now, here's where I need your feedback. Over Thanksgiving we are going to Chicago. I have always wanted to go to American Girl Place, but it didn't exist when I was at the age to play with the dolls. Now that Samantha is being retired, I really want to go and just see what it's all about. Is that too stupid for words? Or, should I just go, enjoy myself, and not worry if people think I'm an idiot??? Help.

2 comments:

Joi said...

This is a no-brainer, Libbi!

You MUST go---it's something you really want to do and who cares about what people think. It's sentimental to you and that's all that matters. : )

I am a total girly-girl, like yourself, and I'd totally go if possible. Enjoy every second!

Jamye said...

Personally, I think you should not only go but I think you should buy a Samantha doll for your daughter...or granddaughter. Who says that you have to wait until they arrive? And won't it be a wonderful story to tell that you loved this doll so much that you thought of the only person in the world that you could love enough to give it to.....before she even existed?