Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pride


Yes, I know that "pride goeth before a fall," but I am willing to risk it. Last weekend I was extremely proud. Yes, I was proud that I graduated with a Master's, but I was more proud of my "baby" sister Katie. She graduated with her Bachelors in Theater. Here are the details:

1. Katie graduated from Columbia College Chicago (a GREAT arts college)
2. Katie graduated with honors.
3. Katie graduated in 3 1/2 years! WOW!
4. Katie moved 5 hours from home at the age of 18, and is working her tail off to really make something of herself.

I am SO proud.

Many people who claim that they will have a career in theater never finish a college degree, and believe that jobs are just going to fall into their lap. Katie definitely does not love taking classes like I do, and this will be it for her (I think) as far as college goes, but she graduated, with honors, and has a degree in theater. She did what she loves.

I am SO proud.

Katie is going on tons of auditions while working other jobs to gain references and experiences. She doesn't ever take the attitude of, "Well, that's beneath me," and I really believe that she will be successful.

As a teacher, I always hope that I send students out of high school to follow their dreams. Not just to wait for their dreams to happen, but to MAKE them happen. I also hope to have "raised" students who are independent, responsible adults. I have had a few students like Katie, and it is wonderful to hear of their successes. So I know I am not the only one who is proud of her...

But did I mention: I am SO proud!!

Katie on the Jumbo Tron walking across the stage!
Outside!
Before the ceremony.
Getting ready...and excited!

No comments: